Monday, September 1, 2014

I have seen so many miracles throughout my mission. Have miracles ceased... Nay! - 09/01/14

Melbourne Mission Moments
I can't believe it's September 2014 and I've been out for 17 months now. It has gone so incredibly fast. As I've started my last transfer this week, I've been doing a lot of reflecting on where I've come and who I've become over the past 17 months. I have truly been changed. The mission has been my ultimate refiner’s fire, shaping me into what my Heavenly Father wants and needs me to be. I'm so grateful for the time that I have left. There's still more changing that I want to do. I feel like it's time to really turn up the heat and do everything that I can during this time. A mission is an experience unlike anything else and I don't want to waste a single second that I have left. That being said, it was a bit of a slow week because both me and my companion got sick which forced us to slow down a bit. However, Heavenly Father made it up to us with the time we had to spend taking care of ourselves.

Monday was my last day with Sister W. We spent most of the day running errands, getting her final things packed, and saying a few final goodbyes. The members here are so wonderful and really loved Sister W. After our last appointment, we left to drive in to Wantirna to stay at the mission home for the night. I love President and Sister Maxwell so much. They are such wonderful people. When we got to the mission home, Sister W went straight to bed but I stayed up until about 12:30 helping Sister Maxwell in the kitchen with some food that she was preparing for the following day. I love spending time with Sister Maxwell. In many ways she reminds me of mom.
My last day with Sister W

Tuesday morning we got up early and got ready then went to the temple with all of the departing missionaries and their companions. There were about 16 missionaries leaving so it was a very full session. We saw the third new temple film which was really good. I find that each film highlights different things and I learned so much. More than anything I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of Heavenly Father's love that I felt. I love that I always feel that when I am in the temple. I felt reassured that Heavenly Father loves me and is proud of me and that this is where he wants me at this time. It was really special to be in the Celestial room with so many missionaries that I love so much. As I hugged Sister R, we both just cried. I love that girl so much. I know that we needed to meet each other. She has impacted my life for good and I will be forever grateful for her influence and friendship. 

With my new companion
After the temple session we had our transfer meeting. Because there were so many departing missionaries that needed to bear testimonies, the meeting went quite long but it was so good. My new companion is Sister V from South Africa! I love her! She's a new Sister Training Leader so after transfer meeting finished we had to go to the "train the leaders" meeting. After that we had to figure out who was going where, and how everyone was getting there. We ended up having to hook up a trailer to our car to put everyone's luggage in so we could fill the cars with bodies. Before we left, I said final goodbyes to the missionaries that were leaving. It was especially hard to say goodbye to Sister R, Sister H and Sister W (the sisters that were in the MTC with me). We had to drive all over our zone that night dropping off missionaries and luggage and by the time we finally got home, it was time to plan and go to bed.
 
I love these sisters from my original MTC group--
so hard to say goodbye.

Wednesday morning I woke up feeling really sick and I was in bed the entire day with a fever. I felt miserable. I was hot then cold then hot again. We had to cancel a lot of our appointments but luckily we were able to get a hold of everyone. I knew I had a fever but I didn't know how high it was until that night. About 6pm I finally found my thermometer and I was running a fever of 103 degrees (and that was with taking ibuprofen). When I saw how high it was, we called the Elders and they gave me a blessing and then we headed off to the doctor. The doctor gave me some antibiotics. I've had a bit of a cold the rest of the week but I am feeling much much better now! Sister V got the same thing so we both have been a bit under the weather. It's really going around-- Sister Maxwell was sick too and she said about 30 missionaries all had the same symptoms. Fun, huh?

Thursday we had district meeting in the morning. That afternoon we had a lesson with F from NZ. We taught him the Restoration and the spirit was so strong. We invited him to be baptized on September 20th and he accepted! We're having FHE with him at a member's tonight and we're really looking forward to that. After F, we went and saw K and had a good lesson about how much God loves us and why he gives us challenges and trials. Then we went and had dinner with a family in the ward who are straight from Samoa. I'm grateful for the members and their goodness. After dinner we went to Bishops so he could meet Sister V.

Friday morning we had to get up early and head to the mission home for MLC. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to attend MLC. It is so uplifting and I always feel so blessed to be in a room with such wonderful Elders and Sisters. Just a few highlights of things I learned:
  • We should have an eternal love affair with learning of the life of Christ and trying to emulate Him.
  • It's better to be respected than to be liked
  • Great leaders are always asking "Who can I serve now?"
  • Spiritual weariness is a result of spiritual malnourishment
  • Help people to let Christ change their hearts.
  • God can use people like us.
Me and Sister S at MLC
By the time we finished MLC and traveled back through all of the traffic, it was about 7:45 pm. We went straight to the chapel for the ward RS activity. The theme was "When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade." It was really good! At the end they had all sorts of lemon desserts and treats which was fun!

Saturday we got to be involved with a mini-mission for one of the wards in our stake. I love being able to work with youth and have an influence on them. It was a really good day! We got to bring the sweetest young women out with us to work.
With the YW for the mini-mission
Sunday was so full of miracles. With everything that happened during the week, we didn't have time to do much finding during the week so we went out expecting to see miracles before church! We also got to do a bit of finding after church and we ended up with a total of 10 new contacts and 5 new investigators in one day! Numbers wise, it was the best day of my entire mission. Heavenly Father guided us to the very area in which we needed to tract and put people in our path who were prepared to accept the gospel! It was so awesome.

I am grateful for the way that Heavenly Father blesses us when we do all that we can! I have seen so many miracles throughout my mission. Have miracles ceased... Nay! I am so grateful for the time that I have left to continue to do the Lord's work. I am so grateful to have Sister V as my final companion. She loves the work as much as I do and her faith inspires me. I know that we are going to continue to see big miracles this transfer!

Love y'all heaps!
Sister Baker xxx

P.S.

The weather this past week has been AMAZING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment