Thursday, September 11, 2014

"We have the responsibility to see individuals not as they are but rather as they can become." - 9/8/14

Melbourne Mission Moments 09/08/14

Holy cow time flies. I feel like so much is happening I don't even know where to start each week when I email home.
 
They have Orange Leaf frozen yogurt in Australia! CRAZY!
Monday after our P-day finished we went to see a recent convert in the ward. We had FHE with her and her family. After that we went to see a part member family. We had a good lesson with them and really got to know them better. When we went to leave their house, we realized that our phone was missing. We retraced our steps and looked everywhere but our phone was gone. We think that it fell on the ground when we got out of the car and that someone stole it. So we've been without a phone for a whole week now. It makes it a bit difficult to do missionary work but it's been alright.

Tuesday morning we had a really good zone meeting. Our zone leaders are so good. We were talking a lot about true conversion. I love Mosiah 5:2. I feel like it spells out exactly what true conversion is. The spirit is so strong in my mission. I found myself literally in tears. I think everything was just hitting me. I was thinking about how much change and conversion I have experienced during the mission. I am so grateful for that. And I love that I still have time to change more. Tuesday evening we went to visit J. She was gone to Sydney last week and she was excited to show us that she got a brand new set of scriptures while she was there. Her cousin that is a member got them for her! She was so excited about them and said, "show me how to use these!" J is so awesome. She is so prepared. Unfortunately she is really busy so it's hard to have lessons with her but I know that she will be baptized. Maybe not while I'm here, but she will.

Wednesday morning we went to see a less-active named L. She was so sweet. That afternoon we went to have another lesson with M and S. It was really sad. They have been reading a lot of stuff on the internet and ran across some anti-Mormon stuff. Unfortunately it has made their hearts completely closed. They didn't want to hear a lot of what we said. They kept asking us for a list of all of Joseph Smith's wives and why he married them, etc. So yeah, we had to drop them and that was sad.

Thursday morning we drove to Deer Park for DLC out there. On our way back, our GPS took us a different way than we'd come. We were just driving down the road and then suddenly we saw a huge field full of these bright yellow flowers. It was so beautiful! I LOVED it. We stopped and took pictures and just soaked it in. Things like that in nature just always remind me how much Heavenly Father loves me. That afternoon while we were knocking on doors, we met S J and N. They invited us in and we began to teach them. They are Sikh but they were so interested in the Book of Mormon! We were able to go back on Friday and give them a Book of Mormon in Hindi and we have a lesson with them this week! That evening we had dinner with the Ks in our ward. We call them auntie and uncle and they are so sweet. She made the BEST pumpkin soup. I'm going to get her recipe and make it for all of you at home!



Friday we did a lot of finding and we saw miracles. We have been doing an hour of fresh finding every day and the miracles are flowing! That night we went to see one of the YSA open her mission call! She's going to Sydney South!

Saturday one of the Laurels in our ward came out with us all day which was awesome. I wish that I could have gone out with the Sister missionaries before my mission! We saw so many miracles! While we were tracting, we unknowingly knocked on a member's door. She was in the middle of trying to assemble this thing and we were able to help her with it! We also had a really good lesson with a less-active. We also started teaching some Indian guys named V, P and J. We showed them the Finding Faith in Christ DVD and the spirit was so strong. We also saw some part-member families that evening and we saw P and F. F has been reading the Book of Mormon every night! We have another lesson with them Saturday which I'm really looking forward to!

Sunday was really good. The morning we spent going around inviting EVERYONE to church. We had a goal of having 3 investigators there and we did everything that we could to get them there. Unfortunately we only had one there. It would be really easy to get discouraged that we didn't achieve our goal but I wasn't. I've really learned that as long as we do everything in our power, Heavenly Father is pleased with us.

We had such a good week. Our numbers were better than I've had my whole mission but even better than the numbers are the people and names behind those numbers. I wish I had time to tell you about all of them. Heavenly Father has been so good to us! I'm so grateful to have Sister V as my companion. She wants to work hard and we push each other to be better!

I've really been studying hard this week, trying to learn everything that I can. I've found several scriptures this week about doing this work with unwearied diligence. That's exactly what I want to do. The mission is such an amazing opportunity. Like I was saying before, I'm so grateful for the change that has taken place in me. I've become so much more than I was 18 months ago. Satan has also been working really hard on me this week. I've had to work hard to push him out. He makes me try to feel like I can't change, like I will never improve or be better. President Monson has said, "We have the responsibility to see individuals not as they are but rather as they can become." I am really trying to apply that with myself--trying to see what I can become. I am so grateful for the atonement of Jesus Christ that makes change possible. I love being a missionary. Love it, love it.

Love y'all heaps!

Sister Baker xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment