Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Zone P-Day at Hastings Caves! - Tasmania is Amazing! - 6/17/14

Tassie Times

I literally feel like I was just barely sitting down to email. Time is literally flying by. Which is good because that means that I am loving it. When I'm happiest, time seems to just blow past.
Last Tuesday after we finished emailing, we went to see Nana T. She must have been having a bad day or something because she was not very happy when we got there. But we went ahead and taught the lesson which we had planned for her and I could see her countenance begin to change. By the time we left, she seemed much happier. I'm glad we could brighten her day just a little. After that we had a lesson with G (the 8 year old who is getting ready for baptism.) We taught him the 10 commandments with hand signs to remember them and he loved it! After that lesson, we went to double check the houses that we had been at on Sunday night in hopes that maybe we could be able to find our phone. We had no luck at the first two but we decided to try the last one. I parked the car in the same place I had on Sunday night and we hopped out. Then Sister H says, "Oh my gosh! I found it!!" There was our phone, sitting in the grass. It had been there for almost 48 hours and it was still there--perfectly fine. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father helped us to find it, and that it hadn't rained in those two days! Tender mercies for sure! That night we had dinner with the T family. Love them! He served his mission in Korea and made Korean food for dinner. It was rice and this spicy chicken stuff that you put in either a lettuce leaf or in a piece of seaweed. It was so yummy! After dinner we had a lesson with S. We taught her how to repent and about the peace that can come from repentance. I am so grateful that we can repent. I feel like I make mistakes every single day and I am so grateful for the Atonement that allows me to change and be a little better every day than I was the day before.
Beautiful church in my area
 
We've been teaching seminary every morning this week which is interesting. Only 3 people come and we're finding it a bit hard to make it interesting for them but we're trying! 
Wednesday we had a really good day of visiting several members and teaching them lessons.
Thursday morning we were at the family history center again. I still have so so much to learn about family history. But I know enough now that I can actually help a few people there when they have questions. Later that afternoon we did a bit of tracting. The first house we knocked on was a member! We had no idea that he lived there so it was quite a surprise when he opened the door. We knocked on a few doors that were homes of Exclusive Brethren. There are tons of them here in Deloraine. I'm not sure what they believe or anything--they are really quite closed about it all, which actually makes me want to know more. After that we drove all the way out for an appointment with a less active. We got there and she ended up not even being home. It's so frustrating when people don't keep their appointments. But, it happens all the time. It's just part of being a missionary I guess. After we drove back in to Deloraine we went to see S. We had planned to teach her the Word of Wisdom but her kids were there which makes it nearly impossible for her to focus on a lesson so we ended up just reading the Book of Mormon with her.
Friday we had a really good lesson with S. Her kids were there so we decided to teach the 10 commandments with hand signs so that we could maybe get them involved. We talked a lot about keeping the Sabbath day holy and how she needed to come to church every single week. We also helped her make plans on how she would keep the commandments and overcome barriers that might get in the way. She seemed to really take everything in and was completely committed to keep her commitments.
Friday night we had a ward activity. It was a dance with the local big band there. It ended up being really well attended and there were tons of non-members there which was awesome. Obviously we can't dance as missionaries but we stood by the doors and greeted people and it was really good!
Saturday morning we went to see a part member family in the ward and had a really good lesson with them. We had dinner that night with a mum and her daughter. They are so wonderful. We mentioned that we were driving down to Hobart on Monday and they gave us a whole bag full of snacks for the car ride down.

Sunday was a bit sad because S didn't come to church. I was sure that she would come when we left on Friday but I'm not sure what happened. We haven't been able to get a hold of her at all so I'm not sure what is going on there. Sunday afternoon we did a bit of tracting and it was really successful! We have return appointments with several people who seem to be really promising! After that we visited a member and had a lesson with their family. Then we had dinner with the W’s. M and J are such good people! After dinner we headed home to pack our bags to head to Hobart.
Monday morning we had to get up at 5:00 so we could leave by 5:45 to travel to Launceston. We met the whole district in Launceston and the 10 of us piled into two cars to drive down to Hobart. The drive down was beautiful. It was light this time so we could see everything and I loved it. Tasmania is amazing! So beautiful! When we got to Hobart we met the rest of the Zone at one of the chapels. Then the Assistants and Sister Maxwell and Sister E pulled up in big bus/vans that they rented from the airport. We all hopped into the vans and drove down to Hastings Caves and one cave there called Newdegate cave! They were amazing! I thought the caves a few weeks ago were cool but these were amazing! We spent the whole day with the zone and it was so fun!
Zone P-Day Activity
Me and Sister H
Inside Newdegate Cave
Me and my MTC Companion!
Me and Sister E

Today we have interviews with President Maxwell and then we will drive back up North.
Beautiful view of Hobart Bay
Me and Sister H in Hobart, Tasmania!
It has been a great week! I love serving with Sister H. She is really fun, we get along great, and she is a great missionary!

I am so grateful to be serving in Tasmania! I love it here! I love the gospel. I know it is true!

Love y'all heaps!

Sister Baker xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment