Wednesday, September 11, 2013

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! - 9/9/13

Melbourne Mission Moments
AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! (That's one of the things that I have picked up here. All the Aussies seem to say it.)
Monday we went mini-golfing with our zone. It was fun. They kept saying that it was different than in America but it wasn't. But it was a lot of fun. :) 
On Tuesday we went to see a less active sister and her son again. We had dinner with them and taught a lesson. It was great. They came to church yesterday which was awesome! They had a good experience and were really loved by the ward so it was great! 
It was another week of a lot of finding. I've come to realize that no matter what, you're going to have to spend time finding. We talk a lot about the escalator effect-- that we have to constantly be putting people on the escalator so they can move to baptism at the top. The only way to get them on the escalator is by finding. I actually like finding. I love talking to complete strangers and learning about their background. This past week we really focused on using the Book of Mormon in all of our finding. It worked really well. The Book of Mormon is truly an incredible book and I want to share it with everyone here! My love and testimony of the Book of Mormon has grown SO much here! I understand things that I never did before the mission and I can't get enough of it. I could spend all of my personal study time in the mornings reading from its pages. I don't, because I need to study for investigators, but I definitely could. 
We taught our recent convert’s son again this week. We taught him the Restoration and it went really well! He went to the youth dance on Friday night and he loved it! I'm glad he is building friendships with the people in the ward. Unfortunately, he didn't come to church this week. His mom said she couldn't get him to come and we tried to call him but he said he "didn't feel well." I was really bummed about that. But everyone has their agency and we can't force him to do anything. We are praying about how to move forward with him. We are going to see him tonight and find out what his concerns are and help him strengthen his testimony of the gospel. 
Yesterday was the Primary program which was great! I LOVE Primary programs. They always make me cry. I feel ridiculous sometimes just sitting there crying while the little kids sing but there's something special about the spirit of little children and it makes me weep. Haha, oh well. 
There's a quote in PMG by Pres. Monson that I love: "There is one language... that is common to each missionary--the language of the Spirit. It is not learned from textbooks written by men of letters, nor is it acquired through reading and memorization. The language of the Spirit comes to him who seeks with all his heart to know God and keep His divine commandments. Proficiency in this language permits one to breach barriers, overcome obstacles, and touch the human heart." 
Random question: there is a bird here that makes the WEIRDEST sound. I asked people what it was and they said that it is a kookaburra. Anyway, I remember a song that said something like "Kookaburra sitting in the old oak tree...." Do you know what song I'm talking about? What are the rest of the words? 
Kookaburra

Well, that's about it for this week! I am so grateful to be a missionary. It's the best!

Love ya'll heaps!

Sister Baker xxx



[Note from Sister Baker’s Mom: I knew the exact song Lauren mentions in her letter and I was probably the one that used to sing it to her! However, the kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, not an oak tree! Too funny... She said they have lots of gum trees in Australia where she is. The kookaburra is native to Australia and New Guinea. It is a large bird about 11-17” long.]

No comments:

Post a Comment