Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"Exactly Obedient".... - Melbourne Missionary Moments - 6/24/13

Well this week has been just wonderful! I can't believe a whole week has passed! Time here literally FLIES! It's crazy to think that this week I will have been out for 3 months! I feel like time is just slipping though my fingers and I can't make it go any slower. But that being said, I am loving every moment here. This week has been a great one. I can honestly say that I really really love my companion. I learn SO much from her every day and it is such a blessing to serve with her. We have a lot of differences but we have been able to turn those differences into our strengths and use our differences to bless each other and those with whom we serve.
Last Monday after we finished emails we had a zone activity. We went bowling and it was so fun! I love being with other missionaries and just having a good time. I bowled 110 my first game which I was pretty proud of! I beat most of the elders :) After P-Day was over we went to have dinner and a lesson with a very less active couple in the ward. We are teaching them the discussions again and helping them to come back to church. They are really really sweet people and love having us in their home. They are having us for dinner every Monday so we can teach them. They are really opening up to us and sharing their struggles and concerns. I am already seeing a change in their lives and I can see a real desire to have the church and gospel be a part of their lives again. It's amazing how just reading the Book of Mormon and praying every day can make people's lives so much better!
Tuesday was transfer day. All of the missionaries in the mission attended (except for the missionaries in Tasmania), regardless of whether they were being transferred or not, because it was President Lifferth's last one. We all got there early and were seated in the chapel. When President and Sister Lifferth walked in we all stood and sang Called to Serve. The spirit was SO strong as we sang together. Being with other missionaries is the best. There is such a spirit and love knowing that we are all working together in a common cause of doing the Lord's work. The transfer meeting was great. The departing missionaries bore their testimonies (including the Lifferths). As each one talked, you could really see and feel how much serving a mission meant to each of them. I couldn't help but be emotional because I was thinking about how grateful I am to be serving a mission and to have this opportunity. I feel like the mission is as much for me as it is for anyone else. I learn and grow SO much every week. I look at who I was 3 months ago when I entered the MTC and who I am now and it's incredible how much I've changed. I've learned to LOVE the Book of Mormon. I always knew that it was true but my testimony of it is even stronger and now I can say that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind of its truthfulness and of its power and ability to draw us closer to our Savior. I have developed a relationship with the Savior that is so much stronger than when I left. There are hard times on the mission but those hard times I've been able to turn to my Heavenly Father in prayer and allow the enabling power of the Atonement to work in my life. Ah, so grateful for all that I am learning here.
On Wednesday the other two sisters in my flat went to pick up their new companions. Sister Wirihana is now on the other side of the mission but Sister Trego came home to the flat Wednesday night with her new companion and guess who it is? Sister Roberts from the MTC!! She and Sister Guy got their visas so they are here now! What a blessing to have Sister Roberts in the flat. I love her so much and she is so sweet and kind and loving!
Thursday morning we got to go to the temple which was a wonderful experience! The Melbourne Temple is beautiful! I took some questions with me to the temple and I definitely got answers! As I sat in the celestial room and saw 11 other missionaries there, I felt so overwhelmed with the knowledge that Heavenly Father loves his missionaries. It was such a wonderful day. 
At the beautiful Melbourne Temple

We taught an investigator this week. The spirit was so strong in the lesson and I know that he felt it. Unfortunately, there's something that is holding him back. He feels like he can't get baptized until he gets a specific answer that he is supposed to and he doesn't feel like he has received that answer. We are praying really hard for him and still planning on having his baptism this weekend but right now it's a little up in the air. I am just having faith that Heavenly Father will allow his heart to be touched and give him the confirmation that he needs. It's definitely hard to be patient but I am trusting in Heavenly Father and doing all that I can. 
We also taught our family again this week. It was a wonderful lesson about the Restoration and we were able to commit their son to a baptismal date! He is going to be baptized on July 27th! The dad wants to baptize his son so he has to work out his Word of Wisdom issues so that's why the baptism is a month away but I know that they will both be ready on that date. I love working with their family and I can't wait to see them get sealed in the temple. I know that we are going to get them there!
This weekend was a missionary weekend for the neighboring stake's Priests and Laurels so they spent all weekend with the missionaries. We had a 16 year old girl with us. She joined the church about 2 months ago and she is just awesome. She was with us all day Saturday and Sunday and it was a great opportunity to show her what missionary work is like and to allow her to share her testimony with others. 
To answer some of your questions: It's cold here but it's not too cold. As long as I wear a cardigan and tights and have my coat with me then I'm good. I'll be fine with the things that I brought. It's not as cold as winters at home. The public transportation here is really good but we don't use it much. We might be using it the end of this week though because we are almost out of K's.
This morning when the alarm went off I was so tired! I really didn't want to get out of bed. But I did it anyway. I was thinking about how much easier it would be to sleep in, how much easier it would be to not go out in the cold to exercise, how much easier it would be to break a rule here or there. But then I thought about how much I need Heavenly Father to bless me, I thought about our investigators and families, I thought about you guys at home. I thought about how many blessings I need and it makes it so much easier to be exactly obedient. If we are exactly obedient we are promised to have miracles happen. And that's why you do it. I know that I need the Lord's help and that I can't have it if I'm not willing to do what He has asked of me. I'm obedient not because I am expected to be, not because my companion wants me to, but because I love the Lord and I want to do as He asks so He will bless me. I know that is true with all things we are asked to do. We are obedient because we need blessings and because we love the Lord.
Love you HEAPS!

Sister Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment