Friday, August 22, 2014

Definitely didn't plan on having this experience during the mission... - 8/11/14

Melbourne Mission Moments 08/11/14

Well, it's been a bit of a crazy week--to say the least.


So Monday we went ice skating in the city with our Zone. I love ice skating! It was a lot of fun. The best part was watching all the missionaries who have never done it try to learn how. We were all cracking up laughing. One of the Elders from Zimbabwe was the funniest. We spent a good several hours on the ice and we were just about finished when I was standing talking to some missionaries who were sitting on the wall. Next thing I knew, I was hit by this big guy that was going really fast. I fell straight to the ice and to be honest, it hurt. We ended up leaving right after that. I had a bit of a headache from falling but overall I was alright. After we rode the train back to our area, a bunch of the missionaries in our zone decided that it would be fun to do the gallon challenge... SO GROSS!! Seriously, why anyone would want to drink that much milk to make them vomit, I will never understand. When our P-day ended, we went to see a less-active family who had asked us to come over. They had gone out and bought us so many groceries! It was so nice of them! I couldn't believe how much they got us. Our cupboards and fridge were fully stocked! After that we went to see a recent convert and his non-member daughter. We arranged to have FHE with them tonight which we're really excited about!
Ice Skating for P-Day
Me and Elder D - one of our Zone Leaders
Some in our zone while they were doing the Gallon challenge... SO GROSS! 
Tuesday morning after studies, we picked up a member and went to teach a guy named D. We showed him the Restoration DVD and he really felt the Spirit. We tried to commit him to come to church and he absolutely refused. It was really sad. We ended up having to drop him because he won't make or keep any commitments. Later that afternoon we had a lesson with J. A member came who was perfect fellowship! We taught the Restoration and it went really well! J asked so many good questions! Also, when we got there, she told us that she had started to read the Book of Mormon. We were shocked because we hadn't asked her to or said anything about it. She unfortunately wasn't able to come to church yesterday because her son got hurt in his Rugby game but we will have another lesson with her this week! After that lesson, we went to see a recent convert who is struggling being active because she doesn't have the support from her husband. We had a really good visit with her. After that we went to our dinner appointment. I had been having pain in my stomach all afternoon and I could hardly eat anything. Right after dinner, we went to coordination meeting at our Ward Mission Leader's house. I was in so much pain that I had to just go lay down on the couch. When we got home, I noticed some bleeding and with the pain too, I was concerned. I called Sister Maxwell and we decided that I would get in to see a doctor right after zone conference the next day.

Our zone conference on Wednesday was so good! I wish I could share everything that was shared and everything I learned but I can't. Here are a few highlights:
  • Proverbs 29:18- we have to have a vision of what we can accomplish. We have to have goals.
  • Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Up your performance to meet the expectations.
  • Galatians 5:9- just a little bit makes a big difference
  • "You have eternity to prepare for your mission and you will have forever to reflect on it but you only have 2 years to live it." -Ezra Taft Benson
  • The purpose of the gospel generally and the Atonement specifically is to make bad men good and good men better.
  • "Salvation is not a cheap experience." -Jeffrey R. Holland
  • "God's opportunity is man's extremity." -Jeffrey R. Holland
  • "The road to salvation always goes through Gethsemene and summits at the hill of Calvary." -Jeffry R. Holland
  • "My feelings for the Savior have been born in the most desperate hours of my life when I wondered if the sun would ever come up again." -Jeffrey R. Holland
  • Repentance in German is "umkher" which literally means to turn around.
  • Satan works hardest on those who are trying to do right.
There was so much and it was all so good! I am so grateful for President and Sister Maxwell. They are absolutely incredible! By the time we left our zone conference, we had to go straight to our dinner appointment. We decided to go there first because it is a family we've already had to cancel on before.
 
Elder S, me and Elder C

As soon as we finished dinner, we went right to the doctor. It was about 8:45 pm at this point. The doctor did a little bit of checking and said that he was worried that I could possibly have ruptured my spleen when I fell while ice skating so he sent me straight to the Emergency at Sunshine Hospital. We stopped by our flat long enough to change into trackies and wash off my makeup and then we drove to Sunshine. By the time we got to the hospital it was about 10:30 pm. Holy cow, Australian hospitals are so different. We got there and I checked in and they told us it would be at least a couple of hours wait. The Zone Leaders came to wait with us. I waited in the waiting room for 6 HOURS! We were all so exhausted. Finally, about 4:30 am they called my name and took me back. They did x-rays, an ultrasound and a couple of other tests and I saw the doctor. She said that she would talk it over with the surgeons as to what they would do. And then I waited around for about 4 more hours. Finally I asked the nurse if they had any news. Turns out the doctor I saw had gone home. So then I had to wait again for another doctor. Finally after 8 hours back there, they sent me home saying they didn't know what was wrong but that if it got worse, I should come back in. We were absolutely exhausted so we went home to shower and we both fell asleep. We got up to go to our dinner appointment and then came back home to sleep.
 
Sunshine Hospital - We spent 14 hours here
The Elders were so tired... so nice of them to stay there with us all night.
Everyone was trying to sleep, but I was afraid I'd miss my name being called.

Friday morning Sister Maxwell and I talked and decided I should try to get another referral letter from the doctor to try to go to another hospital. Well, that doctor was not going to be in until Monday so I ended up driving up to where the mission office is to see a doctor there. She is a less-active member and sees a lot of the missionaries. She thought it was important to have a CT scan and she made a call and got me straight in to a radiology place. We went there and I had a CT scan. It took almost two hours and they sent me away. By the time they were finished Dr. Owen had gone home and since they were closed all weekend I couldn't get any results. I called the office this morning to get the results. The pain has pretty much gone away now and the scan results indicated that everything was normal.

I've not been feeling great this past week but I'm pushing through it. On Saturday we got to help with a stake mini-MTC for the youth which was really good! Church on Sunday was really good. The talks in sacrament meeting were all about the Restoration. I am so grateful for Joseph Smith and the role that he played in the restoration of the gospel. I am so grateful to be a missionary and to have this opportunity to share it with everyone. Thank you for all your prayers this week. Heavenly Father is blessing me and I trust that everything is going to be okay.

Love y'all heaps!
Sister Baker

P.S. Remember how we have that goal of getting 5 new investigators every week or else we have to sleep on the floor Sunday night...? Yeah well, let's just say that our floors are not very comfortable.

 
My companion is turning me into a Kiwi... socks and jandals...

No comments:

Post a Comment