Monday, July 14, 2014

I believe all of us can see miracles every day--we just have to look for them. - 7/7/14

Tassie Times

Happy fourth of July a few days late! Go America! We had a really good week this week!
 
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!
Monday we went in to Launceston to spend the day with the sisters there! It was a lot of fun. Launceston seems like a huge city compared to tiny little Deloraine! We spent the whole day there shopping and things and then we drove back to Del. We had dinner with the Ws, a part member family. They are great! We were talking about Kangaroo and they are going to go kill a kangaroo and cook it for us! I can't wait! I figure I can't leave Australia without eating it at least once!
I love Australia!

Tuesday morning we went to see S. She's still struggling but we read a chapter from the Book of Mormon with her and it seemed to help lift her spirits a bit. Later that afternoon, we had a lesson with a cute old lady named E. She's probably in her 70s and goes to the Uniting church. We taught her the Restoration and the spirit was really strong, especially as S. Hatch shared the pillar of light! At the end we committed her to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. She told us that she didn't think she would because she liked her church and felt content there. Ugh, seriously. The spirit had been there so strong. I said the first thing that came to my mind as I asked her, "What do you have to lose?" After she thought about it she said "You're right. I should read it." She is really sweet. We've been praying for her all week that she will be able to get an answer! We have an appointment with her tomorrow so hopefully it goes well! After that lesson, we went to see B. We taught her about prophets. We had dinner that night with the G. It was so yummy. I don't think that I'd ever eaten them before the mission, but man, brussel sprouts are so good! Seriously though, I love the things.

Wednesday was a normal day of trying to catch people at home and doing some finding. That evening we had dinner with a part member family. She is completely less active and really wants nothing to do with the church. But they like the missionaries and usually invite us for dinner once a month. We're struggling to know how to take it to the next level now though. How to begin really teaching them and helping them come unto Christ. It's a tough gig—finding the balance between having their trust and not having them feel too pushed.

Thursday morning we were at family history. I was kind of at a brick wall, not really sure what to do next but I started just exploring the lines that were already there. I found 4 people that need ordinances done. All of the information was already there, I just needed to reserve them and now the cards just need to be printed! I couldn't help but think, these people are just waiting to have their work done. Literally, the information was there. The work just needs to be done. I hope you all want to go and do a huge day at the temple when I get home! I have about 30 people that need ordinances done!

Thursday afternoon we were out talking to people on the streets. I saw a Filipino woman standing against a railing in front of us. Having served with Sister G, I LOVE Filipinos. We went over and started talking to her and after about a minute her partner came out of the shop too. We starting talking to them and realized they are so prepared! She hasn't been in Deloraine long and is looking for a church to go to. He recently quit smoking and drinking alcohol! Also, they told us that they were getting married that weekend! And get this--after talking to them for only about five minutes, they invited us to their wedding!! Meeting them was definitely the high of the day!


Friday was the 4th of July here in Australia so naturally we had to celebrate!! We had a district meeting that morning and all the Americans were wearing Red, White and Blue. We sang the Star Spangled Banner. It was pretty funny because the English Elder and the Elders from Australia refused to stand up. We also sang My Country Tis of Thee. And the English Elder was singing God Save the Queen. Good times. Our meeting was really good! We focused a lot on the importance of asking inspired questions as we teach. When you go to heaven to know what to ask them, the spirit comes and you really can understand an investigator's needs and concerns. Lately, I've been really stressed about life after the mission--especially school. I felt prompted to ask for a blessing after the meeting. The Zone Leaders gave me a blessing. It was beautiful and perfect! There was no doubt in my mind that the words were coming straight from my Heavenly Father. He knows me so well. My mind was so put at peace and I feel confident in the decisions that I have been making regarding school and intended majors.

The sisters in our district in 4th of July attire!

That afternoon we had a quick lesson with C and her kids. We taught them the 10 commandments and it was good. They told us that they were excited to come to church that weekend! We had dinner with the W which was amazing—as always. Being the 4th of July, we had to celebrate. Some really sweet members had gotten us some sparklers so we had a bit of fun with those! For being in Australia, it was a pretty alright 4th of July.

Saturday morning Sister H didn't feel well at all so she went back to sleep for a couple of hours. I had a few hours to just study in the morning which I love. The scriptures have such a wealth of information! I love that I can open to anywhere and know that I will learn something! By that afternoon, Sister H was feeling a lot better! We went for lunch to a birthday party for two little girls in our ward. The had a Wiggle Giggle Party. (The Wiggles and Giggle and Hoot: two kids TV shows.) Apparently the Wiggles are still pretty big here in Australia! One of the original guys is still in it but the others are new. There's even a girl giggle now apparently! After we had lunch there, we did some finding. It was a really successful afternoon and we found several people that seem to have a lot of potential!

Sunday at church we were devastated that C and her kids didn't come. It's the worst when investigators don't make it to church. We're not sure what happened but hopefully we'll see them today and follow up with them! After church was over, we went to J and N's wedding! It was a really small wedding, only about 15 people were there. It honestly felt like it was pretend. I don't know. It's sad. They've already been living together so a wedding is just making it legal. And it's so sad that it's just until death do you part. It made me grateful for temples and eternal marriage! They are going away for two weeks on a honeymoon but hopefully we'll start teaching them as soon as they get back!

I love the message in the July Ensign by Elder Gong about perfectionism. I feel like I often fall into that trap but his message gave me a lot more insight! I recommend reading it! I've also been studying a lot about the Nature of God this week. God is so loving. I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows and loves me, who I can talk to at any time and about anything. I am His daughter. I am so grateful for that knowledge.

We've continued to teach seminary this week. But now it's school holidays for two weeks so there won't be any seminary during that time. Hopefully they will have a new teacher by the time it starts up again!

I love serving here in Deloraine with Sister H. We keep seeing miracles every day. I believe all of us can see miracles every day--we just have to look for them.

Deloraine is so beautiful

Love you heaps!

Sister Baker xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment