Monday, February 17, 2014

I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything in the world. - 2/10/14

Melbourne Mission Moments

What even happened this week? I don't even know what to tell you because I feel like it's only been about three days.

Last Monday evening we had dinner with a wonderful family in our ward--the one whose kids and the relationship they have reminds me of my relationship with Phillip and McKay. I really do love the members in this ward. It has a very different dynamic than my last ward but I love it just the same. It's a smaller ward than Churchill Park which makes it easier for us to get to know more of the members.

Flatmates
On Tuesday we had a district meeting. Our district is so different from last transfer. Everyone is so young! But it's good! Tuesday night we visited a part member family in the ward. As we were visiting with them Brother L asked if I would play some primary songs on the piano. His wife who isn't a member knows and loves many of them so we were all around the piano singing songs. It was really cool to see how much music can touch hearts. After that we went to have a quick meeting with the Elders and Bishop to discuss our plans for an upcoming program we are doing in the ward. When we were first in the area, I suggested the idea of doing a 40 day fast with the ward. Everyone loved the idea so we are starting it at the end of this month. Basically every day for 40 days, a different family will be fasting to know who it is that they need to invite to learn more about the gospel. At the end of their fast, either us or the elders will go and discuss the experiences they had that day. I am really excited about doing this with the ward. I think it will be really good and that we will see lots of miracles happen as a result!
My District
 On Wednesday we spent a lot of the day with less-active members. We are really trying to help several people in the ward to strengthen their faith and help them to feel the spirit and eventually to come back to church. It breaks my heart when people have stopped coming for whatever reason, but I have seen the joy that comes when they decide to come back. We are making some really good progress with a few people. Wednesday night we had dinner with a family in the ward. His parents are here from Scotland/England so it was fun to talk with them and get to know them. I love their Scottish accents! I was telling them that I have Scottish ancestry on Grandma Baker's line and they were asking where. We got on Family Search and found that we both have ancestors with the last name of Milne who were living in Aberdeenshire at the same time. So who knows, maybe we're related! Haha I also learned that Thomas E. Ricks (my ancestor) had 5 wives and 43 children! That's crazy!

On Thursday we decided that we would spend the day fasting because we are really struggling to have people to teach. We meet lots of people and they will meet with us maybe once, but no one is progressing much. That day we were able to teach a few lessons to some Burmese people but they didn't really understand much because their English is really poor. We had Ward Council at the end of the night and as we were heading home, I was feeling kind of bummed. We fasted all day and I really wanted to see some sort of huge miracle but we hadn't. But after we finished planning, our district leader called and said some of the elders had set a date with a girl that day who they found out lives in our area! We didn't know if they were going to pass her over to us or to the Elders but I had a feeling that this was our miracle. All week I've been praying for this girl. Yesterday we saw the Elders who set a date with her. They told us that they feel like we are the ones who need to teach her! I am so excited! We haven't met her yet but I have such a good feeling about this!!

All week we've been trying to get a hold of an investigator but haven't been able to. So, Saturday morning we just popped around to her house. She was home and invited us in. We just listened to her. She is terrified of making the wrong decision of which church to join and hasn't felt like she is getting an answer. We don't know exactly how to help her right now but we are praying hard and I know Heavenly Father will help us to know.

We had a lesson with another investigator on Saturday afternoon as well. It went well. He is hesitant to make any big commitments or to come to church because of his family. But he told us that he turns 18 in a few weeks and that he wants to take bigger steps after that. So we just have to wait it out for a few weeks now.

Yesterday I had to give a talk in Sacrament meeting about the 40 day fast to tell the ward about it. I also talked about the power of prayer and fasting. We ended up having our ward plus another ward there because they couldn't meet in their building because of fire dangers. So I was like, great—more people to talk in front of. But it went pretty well and I didn't even get overly emotional or weepy which was good!

Last night we went to the Pacific Area Presidency Leadership Broadcast. It was really good. I felt strongly, yet again, that the second coming is quickly approaching! The Lord really is hastening His work. I am so grateful that I get to be a part of it! I love being a missionary. I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything in the world.

I love you all heaps!

Love,
Sister Baker xxx

I love the license plates!
Phillip- Keep working hard. I know how you feel having a hard time finding investigators. I'm in the same boat. But Heavenly Father is preparing hearts! We will find them! Also, awesome about finishing the BofM in Spanish. Sounds like you have gotten really good at the Spanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment