Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I have learned patience this week... 2/17/14

Melbourne Mission Moments 
Well, if anything, I have learned patience this week. To be honest, I have felt more like a nurse/mom than a missionary this week.
My companion has had a bad cough for nearly two weeks now. By last Sunday night, it was sounding really bad and when Sister Maxwell heard it at the Area Presidency Broadcast, she told us that we should get her in to a doctor to find out what was wrong.

So Monday morning we went to the doctor. He told her that the cough was probably just due to allergies so he just told her to take a Zyrtec in hopes that it would get better. After the doctor we did our normal p-day errands and then went home so Sister B could rest because she really wasn't feeling very well. That night we had dinner with a family in the ward and we were able to have a short lesson with their two Chinese exchange students.

Tuesday morning we had district meeting. Poor Sister B was coughing the whole way through it. After our meeting we went to do some finding. It has been really smoky in our area because of the bush fires so it was making her cough worse (there's been a fire burning about 10-15 minutes away from us, I think it's been put out now but I'm not sure). Tuesday night we had dinner with a part-member family and then we were able to have a lesson with the father. He has been reading the Book of Mormon but he said that he doesn't have any real desire to learn more about the gospel and think about baptism. We're trying to help him figure out how to gain that desire.

By Wednesday morning, Sister B was so sick that we went back to the doctor. The doctor saw her and prescribed some antibiotics but he was worried about the possibility of pneumonia so we had to go to get chest x-rays. The two appointments took up most of our day. The rest of the day we had to stay in the flat because she was so sick.

Thursday morning my poor companion was feeling even worse. We went back to the doctor to get the results from the x-rays and they said that her lungs were clear but they ordered another test to see if they can find what is making her cough. After the doctor we went home and Sister Maxwell came over to see how Sister B was doing. She is so sweet. She made us yummy chicken noodle soup and everything while she was at our flat. The elders came over and gave Sis. B a blessing and Sister Maxwell told us that we needed to stay inside and let Sister B rest until she gets better.

So all day on Friday we were inside. I did a lot of studying which has been really good. I've learned so much this week and gotten through a lot of the Book of Mormon. I love the Book of Mormon so much. I've been reading in Alma this week and I have been learning more from it than I ever have before. Every page, every chapter, has so much to learn from. I have been amazed at how much I have learned.

Saturday morning we had to go down to Berwick, my old area, to have the test done. I miss Churchill Park! Just driving down those streets brought back so many memories! After the test was done, we had a few hours until the baptism of the daughter of a family in my previous area, so we got permission to go to one of the members’ homes to let Sister B rest until the baptism. We went to the B’s home! I miss them so much! They are so wonderful! They made us lunch and then while my companion slept I just got to chat with Sister B. I miss her so much. Seriously, what a wonderful woman she is!

Then we went to D's baptism. I'm so glad Sister Maxwell let us go even though Sister B has been feeling so terrible. They didn't know that I was coming. We got to the chapel before them. I saw them coming in and I got so excited. When I saw their daughter she just ran towards me and gave me the biggest hug and just started to cry. It was so sweet. Of course, I started crying as well. It was so so good to see them!! They were so happy that I was able to come and to be able to surprise them was the best! The baptism went so well. After a rough week, that was the best thing ever!






Sunday, again we had to spend the day in flat so once again, I got to do a lot of studying. It's okay though. I've learned a lot about patience and charity this week. Poor Sister B feels so crappy and she just wants to get back out to work as much as I do.

We are really praying that Sister B gets better soon. We talked to Sister Maxwell this morning and she is sending us back to the doctor to see if we can figure out what is going on. We're all really kind of frustrated because the doctors haven't been able to help her much.

Oh well. Hopefully we'll get things figured out soon. I am dying to get back to work. I miss teaching and finding and everything.

Love y'all heaps!

Sister Baker xxx

Sister H got transferred a week ago because new missionaries came and now a new sister, also from Taiwan, is in our flat. Sounds like the Olympics have been fun. I don't think anyone here even really watches the winter Olympics. 


Phillip- TRAINING! Welcome to my world. Training is really good! It's a lot of responsibility because you are shaping the way the rest of their mission will go. If I have any advice it would be to pray for your companion and pray to love them. Also give them space to grow. If you save them every time they don't know what to say, then they will never learn. Compliment them lots. Love them. You'll be a great trainer!

No comments:

Post a Comment