Monday, October 28, 2013

Where have the past 7 months gone? - 10/28/13

Melbourne Mission Moments
Holy moly.  Time just flies by here! 
This past week was a little different than most weeks. I feel like it was all just kind of a blur. On Monday we had our Halloween Party with all of the other sisters in the mission. It was a lot of fun and fun just to be with everyone! That night we went to Bishop's house for dinner and a lesson with an investigator. He has basically closed off his heart to any possibility of change so we are not going to be teaching him anymore. I have not wanted to drop him but he's not making any progress at all so we need to focus our efforts elsewhere. We'll still invite him to church and everything, just won't be scheduling lessons every week.
At the sisters Halloween Party
Monday and Tuesday nights Sister H and Sister V got to stay with us while they were up from Tassie. That was really fun. I have really missed Sister H. She is a HOOT! They said that Tassie is beautiful but cold. I hope that I get to serve there at some point while I am here!
Tassie sisters with us!
On Tuesday we had another lesson with a younger girl we have been teaching. We were excited to find out that she had read the Introduction to the Book of Mormon like we had asked her to. We had a good lesson with her this week. We're still working on helping her to know that Heavenly Father hears her prayers. We are also hoping to get her to come to the ward Halloween party this week so that she can meet some of the young women. 
For Halloween the ward is having a Trunk or Treat. Which is actually kind of funny because they don't call it a trunk here, they call it a boot. But anyway, it should be really good. It's our ward and another ward and there's 60 people signed up to bring their cars and they are expecting to have about 300 people there, including A LOT of non-members. You better believe we are going to be there to talk to every single one of them. 
We also had a lesson with a less-active sister and her son this week. Don't remember if I told you about them. This sister has been less active for about 10 years but Sister H and I were able to contact her and she's been coming back to church. Her son is 8 years old but hasn't been baptized. We had a really good lesson with them on Tuesday and the son has decided to be baptized on December 8th so that's exciting!
We were able to see a recent convert this week! Tuesday night was her birthday so we took her some flowers. She sold her house and is moving into a new house but the new house is in our ward boundaries. That is a huge tender mercy! I love her so much. Just being able to see her this week was a blessing.
On Wednesday we had our Sisters Conference. It was so good! We seriously have the BEST sisters in this mission. There are now 47 of us! We received some wonderful trainings and I learned a ton. For lunch they did a High Tea for all of us which was so cute. There were tons of little sandwiches, sweet rolls, etc. So cute. The best part was having President and Sister Maxwell there. They are so wonderful! Seriously, I could not ask for a better mission president. 
Reunited with my little Filipina!

All the sisters in front of the Melbourne temple

We did a lot of finding this week and have used the buses some more. We had a couple of adventures where we didn't know for sure where we were but it was fun!
On Friday morning we went to another investigator’s house. This mother and her two kids, are friends with another family in the ward and have been at their home several times when we were there and they came to their son’s baptism. This mother seems so much more open to the gospel right now. They have had some weird things happen in their home lately-- so the Elders came over with us and they were able to teach her about the priesthood and to bless her home. Then that night they were at the member family’s home for a lesson and we taught everyone about prayer and made prayer rocks with them. Her son said the closing prayer and it was so good. We are hoping to set a baptismal date with her and her kids this week! 
On Saturday night we got transfer calls and guess what! I'm staying here for another transfer with Sister S! Wahoo! I love this area and I'm so glad that I don't have to leave yet. I want to keep working with the people that we have right now. Only bad news is, the next transfer is a week before Christmas. I really don't want to be transferred right before Christmas. That would STINK!
We weren't able to see two of our other investigators this week. Dang. But we should be seeing them this week (fingers crossed).
Phillip- So good to hear about the baptism! I'm sure that was awesome for you to get to baptize him. Keep working hard. Missionary work is the best, isn't it?

I am just loving being a missionary and serving here with Sister S. Heavenly Father is so good to me! I have been so tremendously blessed. Before I left on the mission, I kind of viewed it as a way to pay Heavenly Father back a little bit for all of the blessings I've been given, but it turns out I'm not paying him back at all. He just keeps pouring out blessing after blessing. I love this gospel. I'm a missionary. I know it. I love it.

Love you heaps!
Sister Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment