Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Time is just whipping past lately - 10/21/13

Melbourne Mission Moments
So Beautiful Here!
What a Load a Rubbish!
We just have to laugh at the signs we see!
Beware Magpie Swooping!
Before I left people kept telling me about the birds that swoop at your heads. Yeah, it's a real thing!
Wow. I can't believe we are already nearly to the end of October. Time is just whipping past lately. This is the last week of the transfer which is crazy. It's a 5 week transfer because President and Sister Maxwell have to go to New Zealand for a Conference. So next transfer will be 7 weeks long. I'm hoping that I get to stay with my companion another transfer. I love her and we are really working well together. However, next transfer ends like two weeks before Christmas. I would hate to be transferred right before Christmas and be in a ward full of people that I don't know. Ideally, I would love to stay here until January but we'll see. I will go where the Lord needs me.


We had a great week this week. On Monday we were able to have another lesson with an investigator at Bishop's house. It was a wonderful lesson. We taught him about the Plan of Salvation which he loved. He lost his father recently so it really touched his heart. We invited him to be baptized but he is still a little hesitant right now. He is worried about not having the time to really be devoted to a church/religion. We are working through his concerns though. The other hard thing is getting him to church. He is worried about bringing his children to church because he thinks that they will be too loud and disruptive. We assured him that there are lots of kids at church and that it is a place for families but he is still hesitant. Every other weekend he has to work so that is also a challenge. But he is doing well and really gaining a testimony. As his testimony increases, he will be able to resolve a lot of his own concerns. 
On Wednesday we got to go and teach a younger girl. Her mom is actually a member who has been less active for a long time. Her mom wants her daughter to learn about the church so that she can make a decision for herself as to whether she wants to be a part of the church. We have had a couple of lessons with her now and they both have gone really well. Since she's young we are teaching really slowly and simply but she now prays and we're working on helping her know that Heavenly Father is there. She is such a cute girl.
Thursday was kind of a crazy day. We lost our phone. Don't ask me how. I'm convinced it did a Harry Potter and just apparated to somewhere. Anyway, so we had to spend quite a lot of time looking for the missing phone. We didn't find it anywhere so we ended up having to go to the office and get a new one. 
We finally got a hold of our Brazilian investigator on Saturday. He answered his phone and we got a return appointment with him for this coming week so hopefully that goes well! Also, we have been working with a couple since I got here and they got married on Saturday! They were married before but then got divorced and then got back together a few years ago. Well Saturday they finally got married so now they can live the law of chastity and work towards a temple sealing! It was a happy day!
We are running really low on Ks for the month so on Friday and Saturday my companion and I learned how to use the bus system. It ended up being great! There are people on the bus that you can talk to and we were able to meet a lot of people! And there is a bus line that is perfect! It goes through all the parts of our area where we have investigators so it's perfect!
Riding the Bus
This week I have been really studying a lot about faith. That is the Christ-like attribute that I am really focusing on. My companion has been such a good example to me. She is so full of faith. She is always optimistic. I'm trying to be more that way and exercise more faith. Instead of doubting that people will actually be home for our appointment, I'm trying to trust that they will be there and they will want to learn more about the gospel. Changing the way that you think is hard but it's slowly coming. It's just self-mastery like Elder Nelson talked about in General Conference.
Today we are having a Halloween Party for Sister's P-Day. And later in the week we have Sisters Conference so that means ALL of the Sisters will be here. Sister H and her companion fly up this morning from Tasmania and they get to stay with us for a couple of nights! I am SO excited!!!! :) :)

Thank you for the thought about prayer. That's something that I have really worked on as a missionary – to make my prayers more heart-felt and sincere. I have noticed a huge difference. When it's more sincere I sometimes just find myself in tears at the bedside. Prayer is SUCH a blessing! 
Phillip- sounds like you've had a busy week trying to learn the other area as well. The more area you have means the more people there are which is ALWAYS a good thing. I loved in conference when Elder Ballard said to missionaries, "If you want to teach more, you have to talk to more people." I know that is true. I'm excited for your baptism! Hopefully all goes well!
I love you all so much! I am so grateful to be a missionary at this time. I'm so grateful to have the family that I do. I have the best family in the world! I know the Church is true and it brings me SO MUCH HAPPINESS when I get to share it with people every single day.
Love y'all heaps!
Sister Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment